This comprehensive workshop guides participants through each facet of the cyclic ergonomics process from basic ergonomics principles through control development and workstation design guidelines.
Purpose: To introduce the participants to basic ergonomic principles and addresses topics such as: musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs), identifying and prioritizing ergonomic stressors, determining root causes, analysis techniques, developing appropriate control measures, cost justification, and design criteria. This workshop prepares the participants to work in a team environment to conduct ergonomics assessments for the control of risk factors that cause WMSDs. The course mixes lecture and laboratory to allow all participants to apply techniques.
Objectives: After attending this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe elements of the client’s ergonomics process and how individual employees can support it.
- Define ergonomics and why it is important.
- Define MSDs and give examples.
- List MSD symptoms and explain the importance of early reporting.
- Identify risk factors that contribute to WMSDs.
- Explain the importance of working in neutral postures and how it affects fatigue.
- Appropriately prioritize jobs based upon risk factors present, injury data, and interviews with employees/supervisors.
- Use the Industrial Ergonomics Screening Tool to perform general ergonomic assessments.
- Use the Strain Index and RULA Assessment Tools to analyze jobs with ergonomic risk factors associated with the upper extremities.
- Use the NIOSH Lifting Guidelines and Manual Materials Handling Tables to analyze jobs with ergonomic risk factors associated with the low back.
- Learn to utilize the Center’s software tool (ErgoDATA) for ergonomics analysis.
- Use problem solving teams to develop appropriate intervention strategies for the reduction of WMSD risk factors.
- Support the deployment of the site ergonomics process.
- Learn about workstation design criteria and hand tool design
Classes are held from 8:00AM – 5:30PM Monday through Wednesday and
8:00AM – 12:30PM on Thursday.