Director of Ergonomic Services
Jeff Hoyle is a certified professional ergonomist (CPE) and Director of Ergonomics Services for The Ergonomics Center of North Carolina, housed within the Industrial and Systems Engineering Department at North Carolina State University. He received his M.S. degree in Industrial and Systems Engineering with a focus in ergonomics and biomechanics from the Ohio State University. He specializes in providing ergonomics program development, job analysis and redesign, training, ergonomics team and guideline development for a variety of companies nationwide. Jeff also serves as research liaison to facilitate the coordination of ergonomics research projects between government grants, clients/member companies, and NCSU faculty and graduate students. He is a frequent speaker at national and regional safety and ergonomic conferences and has published in several scientific journals.
Industrial and Systems Engineering
The Ohio State University
North Carolina State University
- Hoyle, J.A., Marras, W.S., Sheedy, J.E., & Hart, D.E. (2011). Effects of postural and visual stressors on myofascial trigger point development and motor unit rotation during computer work. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 21, 41-48.
- Hoyle, J.A. (2011). Technical Reports to NIOSH: Whole-sale & Retail Trade (WRT) Sector Manual Material Handling Demonstration Projects: “Work Smart at the Right Height” – Northern, Southern, and Eastern contracts. NIOSH Contract No: 2014-2009-M-32431, 214-2009-M-32435, 214-2009-M-32436.
- Mirka, G.A., Jin, S., & Hoyle J.A. (2009). An evaluation of arborist handsaws. Applied Ergonomics, 40(1), 8-14.
- Splittstoesser, R.E., Yang, G., Knapik, G.G., Hoyle, J.A., Lahoti, P., Vatan Korkmaz, S., Sommerich C.M., Lavender, S.A., & Marras, W.S. (2007). Spinal loading during manual materials handling in a kneeling posture. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 17 (1), 25-34.
- Vatan Korkmaz, S., Hoyle, J.A., Knapik, G.G., Splittstoesser, R.E., Yang, G., Trippany, D.R., Lahoti, P., Sommerich, C.M., Lavender, S.A., & Marras, W.S (2006). Baggage handling in an airplane cargo hold: An ergonomic intervention study. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 36(4), 301-312.
Honors and Awards
- Certificant, Board of Certification in Professional Ergonomics (CPE), 2009
- Spatial Signal Detection Using Continuous Shrinkage Priors
- Jhuang, A.-T., Fuentes, M., Jones, J. L., Esteves, G., Fancher, C. M., Furman, M., & Reich, B. J. (2019), TECHNOMETRICS, 61(4), 494–506. https://doi.org/10.1080/00401706.2018.1546622
- Proposal for Ergonomics Research: Riding Lawn Equipment Ergonomic Evaluation
- John Deere Co.(1/09/17 - 10/28/17)
- Comparing ergonomic risk models done with industry standard methods with the KINETIC smart wearable devices
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(1/01/16 - 6/30/16)
- Biomechanical Evaluation of Strong Arm Vest
- Strong Arm Technologies, Inc.(1/01/14 - 7/31/14)